Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Implications of RFID (04/08/2008)


First off, sorry to all you bloggers out there who have been looking for this sweet yet informative CIS blog post things have been really busy lately so I have just been sitting on this post for about a week.

Anyways....One of the CIS Presents I chose to go to was called "The Implications of RFID". Prior to attending this session, I only knew that RFID was some sort of technological system that had the abilities to make business operations alot more easy. I understood that through little scanners a company using RFID could track what customers were buying and adjust their inventory accordingly. However, by the end of this session I had a much better understanding of what RFID is. According to the presentation, RFID chips read and assess different data featured on ones personal belongings (credit cards, luggage, speedpass) using transponder processing systems that track a great deal of information related to the user. These systems then sort information based on either passive or active tags. RFID are automatic readers that can easily prcess specific data collection and make for smoother business operations as I mentioned before through its automated inventory systems and analysis capabilities. In addition to being used in business operations, RFID can also be used on credit cards, airline baggage, smart passports, heath care ID's, and pharmaceutical drug tracking. In the future, as more systems are able to integrate RFID it would be reasonable to assume that virtually anything could be tracked via RFID making life in general alot less hectic. But RFID is not perfect and physical limitations such as dead tags and poor read rates hinder RFID technology from functioning at the highest levels. In addtion, the Gen 2 devices needed [electronic product codes, object name services (verisign)] are not widely availible so the prices for integrating functioning systems would be fairly pricey at least until more people start using the RFID technology. Security is also a bit of a concern because a when a persons RFID goes through a scanner not only is the needed information accessed, but all of the other information (credit card, health info, passport info) is exposed.

In conclusion (yes I know you are NEVER supposed to say that but this is just a blog so I deem it OK) the presentation made it clear to me that RFID technology definately has the potential to be one of the "Next big things" in business as well as in any place were consumers can be found. I would not be suprised if all major publicly traded companies shifted to RFID systems within the next 3-8 years. Feel free to check out the legit rundown on RFID by watching this dank youtube video .

Oh and if you are wondering what that document is, its just my rough notes from the presentation

Later

No comments: